Why should I enrol in the Trades Academy
- Find out what tertiary education is really like, without having to pay any fees
- Sample of taster of a tertiary subject without having to commit to full-time tertiary study.
- Gain a head start on a trades career while achieving NCEA Level 2
- Help deciding what you want to do after school by progressing down a path into further study and a higher level qualification for your future.
- Unit standard/Achievement standard credits from the trades qualification count towards NCEA
- More likely to achieve NCEA at higher levels when studying a qualification of interest
- Trade study inspires an understanding and appreciation of core subjects such as English, Math and Science
- Programmes offered are coordinated to make best use of both secondary and tertiary expertise and resources
- Secondary school support, friendships, networks and activities are maintained. You can keep doing the sport or after school activities you love, and attend the school ball!
- Full access to MIT's support services
- Make friends with students from other secondary schools with similar interests to you
What can I do after the MIT Trades Academy?
After successfully completing the one year MIT Trades Academy programme, you will have achieved at least NCEA level 2 at school and have a partial completion of a National Certificate from MIT.
You can then choose various options, but here are some ideas:
- Return to school to complete Year 13 and NCEA Level 3
- Go into full-time study at MIT (explore our free fee options)
- Pathway into employment with further training on the job
- Return to the Trades Academy to study more in your vocational area or explore another vocational area (for 2016 courses at level 3 are planned)
To find out the best option for you, the following can help:
- Talk to the careers advisor and/or teachers at your school
- Talk to the Trades Academy staff or MIT's Careers Centre
- Visit the rest of MIT's website for further study options
- Contact our Information Centre who will be happy to answer any other questions that you may have
- Phone: 0800 on 0800 62 62 52
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check out the Vocational Pathways profile builder to help select a pathway and find related jobs.
- Visit Careers NZ: Careers.govt.nz
Click here to find out how to apply.