Make yourself at home at the Student Village, MIT's safe and sociable student accommodation available to students of MIT. Our affordable modern accommodation is a great way to become part of a friendly community and to build lifelong friendships. Living at the Student Village puts you right in the heart of student life, so you can make the most of your student journey.
About the Student Village
The Village has 14 fully furnished, self-contained houses with nine single bedrooms and a shared lounge and kitchen. Each house has two wings, both with a toilet and shower, and laundry facilities. Each bedroom has a computer desk, wireless internet, a single bed with bedding and a wardrobe. And for your leisure and convenience, each house has a lounge with a television and phone, and common room facilities are available for all residents.
You can arrive with just your personal belongings and live quite comfortably however, you are more than welcome to bring your own household items to make you feel more at home. We also have staff on-site overnight.
Facilities available to you
Our common room facilities boasts a chill-out area for our residents and available 24/7 where you can enjoy a game of pool or table tennis. Sky TV in our lounge area and a computer hub is also available for all residents.
We arrange monthly activities exclusive to our residents at discounted prices. Things we do include movies, paintball, quiz nights, sports, talent quests, road trips and more.
We are located on Alexander Crescent, just a short walk to the North and South campuses in Otara. The Otara town centre and Otara Leisure Centre, with a heated pool and gym, is nearby, plus there's easy access to public transport.
To apply for residency at the Student Village you must be enrolled in a programme of study at Manukau Institute of Technology.
Note: For international students, there is a six week minimum booking period at the Student Village.
Fees and charges
From 01 January 2019, the weekly fee per room is $155 (including GST). The fee includes power, gas and water.
Payments must be made weekly or fortnightly. All payments are in advance and must be met on the due date.
Other pre-residency charges
The following charges apply but note that prices may be subject to change.
- $100 - Amenities fee per semester
- $40 - Bond: Key
- $310 - Bond: Room
- $70 - Car park fee per semester + summer
- $30 - Storage fee per week
Security at the Village
A secure perimeter fence encloses the Student Village, and entry into the complex is only achieved through swipe card entry. The houses themselves have three entry doors, which are always locked from the outside, so you must enter by key when the doors are closed. Additionally, the study bedrooms can also be locked if so desired. Above and beyond all these measures, Manukau Institute of Technology has its own on campus security service.
Visit our Campus Security services page for more information.
Residential Manager: Jittaun Phillips
- As Residential Manager it is my responsibility to maintain a living environment that fosters both academic success and personal development. This is accomplished with the assistance of the Administrator and Senior Residents.
- Community and diversity are key components of Student Village life. The Student Village offers the opportunity to live as part of a student community. This will help students adjust to tertiary education life, as well as establishing friendships with others who have varied interests and backgrounds.
- I am a member of the New Zealand Association of Tertiary Education Accommodation Professionals (NZATEAP).
- NZATEAP is a professional association for people who are primarily concerned with providing the best possible environment for residents living in tertiary student accommodation.
- Of Maori and Samoan descent, I moved to Melbourne, Australia in 1990 where I worked with the Industrial Relations Commission, and the Olympic Coordination Authority in Sydney. On returning to New Zealand in 2002 I gained employment at MIT's Student Village as the Administrator.
- During my time as administrator I developed a sincere interest in the development of students both academically and personally. In 2005 I was promoted to Residential Manager.
- The Student Village is a vibrant, friendly and cohesive community, with diverse residents who enrich not only my life but also those that they come in contact with. It is a true pleasure to play a small role in our residents' academic success during their studies at Manukau Institute of Technology.
- I am currently studying towards my Bachelor in Business Management.
Administrator - Patricia Edwards
- As Village administrator it is my responsibility to manage the day-to-day administration duties. I take pride in being able to support the Residential Manager and the students so we are able to enjoy a stress free and friendly community.
- I am married and have three children, who are my greatest achievements thus far.
- I joined the team beginning of 2005 and found the working environment of the Student Village absolutely fantastic. I have developed a genuine interest in all students to perform well, both academically and personally.
- I enjoy the diversity and community feeling the Student Village promotes and take pleasure in knowing I may have played a small part in the students succeeding in their studies here at Manukau Institute of Technology.
- I wish to further myself with studies and I would like to travel.
You can contact us by email, fax or phone if you have any other queries.
Download the Student Village Application form.
|Phone:||09 968 8668 or +64 9 968 8668|
North Campus, Otara