Studying and living in NZ

Visas, working and insurance 

Accommodation and arrival in New Zealand

English language requirements

Visas, working and insurance 

How do I get my student visa?

A student visa is required for a programme of longer than 12 weeks' duration.

If you are studying a 10-week English programme, you may enter New Zealand on a visitor's visa. Any other programme will require you to obtain a student visa before you leave home.

You should apply for a visa as soon as you have been accepted for a programme of study.

Immigration New Zealand's online resources

To help you plan your stay in New Zealand, Immigration New Zealand provides an online planning tool, NZReady. This tool can help you learn about living and studying in New Zealand, for example by providing advice on the cost of living and how to find a job. 

More information about the varying requirements for different countries and planning your next steps is available from the main Immigration New Zealand website.  

Can I work part time while studying at Manukau Institute of Technology?

Yes, under some circumstances. If you are completing a diploma or degree programme, or one that qualifies for the 'Skilled Migrant' category under Immigration New Zealand's Residence Policy, you may work up to 20 hours per week. You may also work full time during summer vacation, November to February.

Please note: students will not be able to fund themselves working part time. You may not work if you are studying English, unless you have obtained an overall band score of 5.0 IELTS (General).  You may not work while studying Foundation programmes. 

Do I need insurance?

Manukau Institute of Technology is not funded by the New Zealand Government to support international students with disabilities.

All international students must therefore have an appropriate and comprehensive medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. Manukau Institute of Technology can arrange insurance coverage for you.  If you choose to purchase alternative insurance you must provide a copy of the policy to International Administration for their review and approval.  

Uni-care provide travel insurance for international students.

Accommodation and arrival in New Zealand

Is homestay accommodation available?

Our International team can arrange a homestay for you if you request this or tick 'yes' for homestay on your application form. 
The cost is $270NZD per week for students staying in the Manukau area, or $295NZD per week for those staying in the Auckland city centre.  Students must stay a minimum of six weeks in a homestay before choosing other accommodation.

How do I pay the homestay?

Homestay payments can be paid directly to Manukau Institute of Technology, six weeks in advance. 

Do you have a hostel at Manukau Institute of Technology?

Yes, it is called Manukau Institute of Technology, Student Village. It costs NZ$145 per week, excluding meals, plus an amenities fee of $80 per semester ($160 full year). For further information, visit the Student Village page.

What happens when I arrive at Auckland International Airport? Will someone meet me?

If you are staying at Manukau Institute of Technology Student Village, or a homestay through us, you will be met by one of our staff at Auckland International Airport.  The staff will be holding a sign with Manukau Institute of Technology and your name.  If you have arranged your own accommodation, most students choose not to use this service as a fee does apply.

Can I drive in New Zealand?

If you have an up-to-date drivers licence, you can drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence. After that, you must sit for a New Zealand licence. For more information, contact the New Zealand Transport Agency.

English language requirements

What is IELTS and how do I take the exam?

IELTS examinations test the English proficiency of students in speaking, listening, reading and writing. They offer tests in both general and academic English. Manukau Institute of Technology only accepts the academic English test results.  Please visit IELTS online to find a centre close to you.  

If you are currently in New Zealand, Manukau Institute of Technology runs an accredited IELTS testing station. To book a test date, please call the School of English on 09 968 8617, or visit our IELTS Testing Centre page.

Does Manukau Institute of Technology have an internal English Language Test?

Yes, Manukau Institute of Technology offers an English Language Proficiency test (ELP) which can only be taken on campus.  This is an internal test and can only be used when applying to study at Manukau Institute of Technology.

Can I study English at Manukau Institute of Technology?

Yes, Manukau Institute of Technology has a number of English language options.

Is there an application fee?

No, there is no application fee.