MSc, BA, CATE
|Phone:||+64 9 975 4605|
|Email:||Click here to email Michael|
Manukau Institute of Technology
Michael started his career in construction industry administration. He has worked in the tertiary sector as a lecturer in Business and IT subjects from 1987 until 2000 at UNITEC. Full-time at MIT since 2001, he has held a variety of programme leadership roles since 2002: Programme Leader Academic DipICT Level 5/6 until 2009; Programme Leader CertICT Level 2010, 2014-2015 and Programme Leader Cert in Computing, Communication & Business 2011-2013. He is also a member of the IT Programme Committee.
Student retention and success along with pastoral care, particularly at entry levels have become a key focus for Michael.
His Master’s Degree has a strong component of adult literacy and numeracy research.
Michael has also been active at the ITP sector level in his discipline, representing the Auckland North region for CITRENZ for a number of years. He has undertaken multiple national level roles for this sector organisation.
As a member of NZQA MROQ workgroup member (2013-2016) Michael participated in the design of the current L4-L6 IT qualifications. He is currently active in helping develop MIT’s new programmes of study under the NZQA framework.
- MSc (Science & Mathematics Education), Curtin University, 2009
- BA (Economics/English), University of Auckland, 1984
- Certificate in Adult & Tertiary Education, UNITEC
Teaching Engagement and Learning, Peer learning, Programme Design
Andrews, M. (2014, October). Enriching Student Engagement: Cloud-based Polling Software Adapted to Modern Learning Environments. Southern Institute of Technology Journal of Applied Research, 2-6.
CITRENZ Conference Co- Chair Nelson 2007, Auckland 2008
Awards and grants
2013 MIT Research Grant
- National Editor for CITRENZ Blue Book 2008
- CITRENZ Board member 2012-present
- CITRENZ moderator for ICT qualifications 2004-2015
- Chair CITRENZ stakeholders group 2012-2015
- NZQA MROQ workgroup member 2013-2016 for L4-L6 IT qualifications
- IITP IT Degree Accreditation Panel member 2015
Memberships and affiliations
IITP corporate membership