Certifying your documents

As part of our application process, we need to see certified copies of your documents.

What is a certified copy?

Certified copies are photocopies that have been sighted and signed by either a:

  • Designated MIT staff member. You can bring the original version into one of our Ask Me! Student Services Centres to be verified.
  • or by a Justice of the Peace;
  • Minister;
  • Lawyer or equivalent.

Documents can include:

  • New Zealand Citizenship Certificate
  • New Zealand Passport
  • New Zealand Birth Certificate
  • Overseas Passport with Resident Visa/permit
  • Certificate of identity from INZ if the student has refugee status
  • Australian Birth Certificate
  • Australian Passport

We may also need:

  • Your qualifications to meet entry requirements;
  • English language proficiency (if English is your second language)

If you have already shown these documents to us or you have previously studied with us, you do not need to show us these documents again. We will let you know if you need to show these documents to us.

Do not send original documents. MIT is not responsible for loss of or damage to original documents.


We offer several locations to drop off your evidence/documents or to get your documents certified.

Got questions?

Check out our FAQs on certifying your documents.

Need help?

We're here to support you to succeed.

If you've got questions about our application process our Ask Me! Student Services Centre is here to give you guidance.

Send us a message, call us on 0800 62 62 52 or come in and see us.