Frequently asked questions

If COVID alert levels change, what will this mean for my study?

Currently, Auckland is at COVID-19 Alert Level One. This means teaching and learning can take place in our facilities. Should there be a change in levels, MIT will communicate with you about how your study with us will be delivered. We are committed to keeping our students learning even through any disruptions and have contingency plans in place for distance teaching if this is required. Should there be changes to the alert levels before your study commences for 2021 and you’re seeking information,  we will have this available on our website, our Facebook page and the Student Life Facebook page.

As with all tertiary institutions, COVID-19 caused disruptions to on campus learning at MIT in 2020. However, we are really proud of the work our staff has done to keep delivering online. In fact, completion rates for the year were fractionally higher than they were in 2019.

We encourage our learners to remain engaged with education through this difficult time as the skills taught at our institute will make the difference to employment and earning prospects in a changing economy. If you have any questions relating to your study with us please call our Ask Me! team on 0800 62 62 52.

I have a Pōwhiri that I've been invited to attend to start my journey at MIT. What protocols should I be aware of?

We like to welcome all our students to the MIT whanau with a traditional welcome – either a Pōwhiri or a Whakatau. You can find more about the process here.

What can I get involved in while I'm studying at MIT?

There are a number of student groups to join or you can start one. To find out more about the existing groups or for information on how to apply to start a new club or group, please email You could also have a role to play as a Student Council member or a School rep through becoming part of the MIT Student Voice.

What happens if something goes wrong while I'm studying? Who should I see?

You can always see your lecturer or a Student Advisor in the first instance.You can find our advisors at either MIT Otara (North campus), Dilworth Building, NA Block, Gate 12, Otara Road, Otara or at MIT Manukau (Floor 2 reception) or you can email If you require support through advocacy you can access this too through Student Support.

What hardship support does MIT have available to students?

We have a number of hardship support services available at MIT. As well as the MIT Hardship fund, there is a Student Support food bank and our Student Advisors can provide referrals to external food parcel providers like the Otara Health Trust, Salvation Army, 360 Tautua and South Seas Healthcare.

How long do you have to hold your Permanent Resident Visa before you can access a student loan/allowance?

You will need to have held your permanent resident visa for three years from it's issue date. You will have to produce your passport to confirm eligibility.

Can I access a course if I haven’t held a resident visa for 3-years?

Yes, you can study but you will need to pay for the course fees and any other course related costs.

What funding am I eligible for to pay for my fees?

You may be eligible for the Government First year fees-free, Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF), Youth guarantee, Maori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) or free level 1 or 2 programmes. Speak to our Ask Me! Student Services team if you're not sure which you may be eligible for.

Do we have literacy and numeracy support?

Yes, we do. One of our Student Support teams is the Library and Learning Centre who provide learning support, including support for literacy and numeracy.

StudyLink questions

Will StudyLink continue over the Christmas break?

No. However, you may benefit from applying for a Jobseekers benefit over this period, if you can't find a casual job. Our Careers and Employment Services team can help you get ready to job hunt by providing guidance with your CV, cover letter and interview tips to put your best foot forward.

When I'm applying to StudyLink, where do I find my course dates?

Your course dates can be found on your Statement of Fees which is attached to your enrolment confirmation letter. Use these dates when applying to StudyLink, but please note that these are the official programme dates and the days that you are required to be in class might be different. Please see your timetable to confirm the days you need to be in class.

I can’t study full time – can I still qualify for StudyLink?

Yes, in some circumstances. If you are in this situation, have a chat to our Student Advisors. You will be referred to Studylink’s Limited Full-time Study application form.

I need support with navigating StudyLink

Our Student Advisors can help you navigate the StudyLink application process and can help with information about getting a student allowance, student loans and the benefits that StudyLink provide depending on your situation.

Do you know how much I would get on StudyLink?

No, you have to apply and they will estimate how much they can pay you on a weekly basis depending on your circumstances. For an indication you can use the StudyLink eligibility assessment tool

If the course was funded by TTAF, MPTT can I still apply for course-related costs through StudyLink?

Yes, but these will be considered a loan and you will need to pay this money back.

Do you know how much I would get if I apply for a student allowance?

No. The amount you may receive varies according to your situation and this is assessed in your StudyLink application.