The Maritime industry offers rewarding domestic and international careers. A qualification from the New Zealand Maritime School can provide you with a career full of opportunities.
It can take you around the globe with a well-paid career with a foreign-going qualification or you can choose to stay closer to home with one of our domestic tickets.
All seagoing ships, be they cruise liners, freighters or technical and research vessels, need physically fit, independent crew who work well as a team.
Our domestic maritime programmes have multiple start dates throughout the year, so if you love the ocean and are good at technical subjects, launch your training at the best facility New Zealand has to offer.
|Deckhands with less experience or working on smaller vessels||$34K - $55K per year|
|Experienced deckhands or those working on deep-sea fishing vessels||$45K - $90K per year|
|Masters on small vessels||$33K - $70K per year|
|Inshore fishing skippers||$40K - $80K per year|
>> Salary source from: Careers NZ | Maritime New Zealand (as at February 2018)
The following programmes are available in this area of study:
- New Zealand Certificate in Domestic Maritime Crewing (Level 3) Also known as Qualified Deck Crew (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Crewing (Level 3) Superyacht Crewing This programme leads to the award of the New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Crewing (Level 3) with strands in Deck Crewing, Engineering, Passenger Services, and Superyacht Crewing
- Certificate in Skipper Restricted Limits (Level 4) Leading to award of New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Operations (Restricted Limits) (Level 4)
- OOW <500GT NC / Mate FV Limited Leading to the award of New Zealand Certificate Maritime Operations with Strands in Fishing and Watch keeping (Level 4)
- Skipper Coastal and Offshore Leading to award of New Zealand Certificate in Domestic Maritime Operations (Coastal and Offshore) Level 4
- Master <500GT NC and Master FV (Limited) Leading to the award of New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Operations (Level 5)
- Chief Mate Yacht/Master Yacht Leading to award of the New Zealand Diploma in Yacht Operations (Level 6). Optional strand in Master Yacht