Visas, working and insurance

Get the answers to your questions about visas, accommodation, insurance, arrival in New Zealand and English language requirements.

How do I get my student visa?

A student visa is required for a programme of longer than 12 weeks' duration.

If you are studying a 10-week English programme, you may enter New Zealand on a visitor's visa. Any other programme will require you to obtain a student visa before you leave home.

You should apply for a visa as soon as you have been accepted for a programme of study.

Immigration New Zealand's online resources

To help you plan your stay in New Zealand, Immigration New Zealand provides an online planning tool, NZReady. This tool can help you learn about living and studying in New Zealand, for example by providing advice on the cost of living and how to find a job. 

More information about the varying requirements for different countries and planning your next steps is available from the main Immigration New Zealand website.  

Can I work part time while studying at Manukau Institute of Technology?

Yes, under some circumstances. If you are completing a diploma or degree programme, or one that qualifies for the 'Skilled Migrant' category under Immigration New Zealand's Residence Policy, you may work up to 20 hours per week. You may also work full time during summer vacation, November to February.

Please note: students will not be able to fund themselves working part time. You may not work if you are studying English, unless you have obtained an overall band score of 5.0 IELTS (General).  You may not work while studying Foundation programmes. 

For information on employment and wages in New Zealand go to

Do I need insurance?

Manukau Institute of Technology is not funded by the New Zealand Government to support international students with disabilities.

All international students must therefore have an appropriate and comprehensive medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. Manukau Institute of Technology can arrange insurance coverage for you.  If you choose to purchase alternative insurance you must provide a copy of the policy to International Administration for their review and approval.  

Uni-care provide travel insurance for international students.