BA (Sociology and Tourism Mgmt), MA Ed (Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education)
Communication, Management, Hospitality Management and Tourism Management
|Phone:||+64 9 975 4646|
|Email:||Click here to email Renuka|
|Address:||Manukau Insitute of Technology |
Corner of Manukau Station Road and Davies Ave
Private Bag 94006
Renuka graduated from the University of the South Pacific (Fiji) in 2007 and migrated to New Zealand in the same year. Before joining MIT, she worked for Academy New Zealand as a Travel and Tourism lecturer and Programme Coordinator, and also worked at ANZ briefly.
Renuka joined MIT in 2006 and has taught in three different faculties/schools – Travel and Tourism, Foundation Studies and Business. Currently, she is teaching on the New Zealand Diploma in Business Studies, Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management, Graduate Diploma in Hospitality and Bachelor of Applied Management.
- Contemporary issues in the tourism industry relating to socio-cultural, economic, political and environmental issues
- Cooperative education – teaching and learning strategies, developing entrepreneurial skills with cooperative education
- Adult literacy and numeracy education – pedagogies, strategies and approaches to support student learning in higher education.
Benefits of Cooperative education: Student perception at Manukau Institute of Technology. Proceedings of New Zealand Association Cooperative Education, annual conference, Auckland, New Zealand, April 21-22, 2016.
Exploring cooperative education teaching and learning strategies (2013). Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University of Technology Symposium
Developing entrepreneurial skills with cooperative education. (2013).Auckland, New Zealand: Global Institute of Applied Business Research
Cooperative education achieving graduate profile. (2014). Wellington, New Zealand: New Zealand Communication Association
Supervision of industry projects for the following programmes:
- Bachelor Applied Management
- Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management
- Graduate Diploma in Hospitality Management
Awards and grants
Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) Scholarship – MA Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education
Waipuna Hotel, ATEED
Memberships and affiliations
- Programme committee (2013) – Diploma in Business Studies, MIT
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority – Review Panel (2013) (NZ Diploma in Business Studies)
- New Zealand Association of Communication – 2014
- New Zealand Association of Cooperative Education – 2016