Counselling is offered free to all MIT students.
Our counselling team is made up of registered, professional and experienced counsellors who come from diverse backgrounds. They ensure we offer students the best level of care and a high standard of practice.
All information and any details you share with our counsellors are confidential.
Some of the things counsellors can help with include:
- Study-related issues
- Loss and grief
- Relationship issues
- Gender concerns
- Eating disorders
- Substance abuse.
Make an appointment
Appointments are necessary but urgent requests can be accommodated. Students can book a 30 minute to one-hour session by visiting the Ask Me! Student Services centres.
MIT Ōtara: Dilworth Building, NA Block, Gate 12, Ōtara Road, Ōtara.
MIT Manukau: Enquire at Floor 2 Reception.
Phone: (09) 968 8072
Our commitment to you if you see us as a client we undertake to:
- Provide a safe, trusting environment
- See you on your own or with support people
- Treat what you say in a respectful and confidential manner
- Listen actively to what you say and give clear and honest feedback
- Provide a range of responses and strategies
- Be sensitive to your values and culture
- Respect your freedom to choose. You can choose which counsellor you see and you can choose to end the counselling relationship at any time
- Arrive at a mutual agreement about the goals of counselling and its duration
- Refer you to a more suitable agency if appropriate.