Both around New Zealand and overseas, there is a constant demand for skilled tradespeople qualified in building, carpentry, plumbing and gasfitting, drainlaying, electrical services, and refrigeration and air conditioning.
Building, construction, plumbing and gasfitting suit hands-on, practical people who take pride in their work and are good team players. Whether you've just left school or you're keen to train for a new career, our courses let you start studying at a level that suits your skills and experience.
To support the growing demand in construction, we’re excited to launch a new area of study in construction management and quantity surveying. Find out more below.
Electrical trades are also highly sought after, with job opportunities ranging from electrical supply and maintenance and construction, through to electronics, data communications, computer network engineering and even factory robotics.
Refrigeration and air conditioning technicians are also in demand. You will need to have practical and hands on skills in mechanical, electrical and electronic systems, gas systems, atmospheric pressure and temperature.
MIT degree grads earn more*
Recently analysed Government data shows that MIT degree holders have the highest employment rates in the country five years after finishing their degrees. They can also expect to be among the best paid. Explore your study options and become one of MIT grads who earn more.
The following programmes are available in this area of study:
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Level 3) (Scaffolding and Brick and Block laying) Allied Trades Strand
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Level 3) with a strand in Carpentry
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrotechnology (Level 3) with strands in Installation or Service
- New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying (Level 3) (Pre-Apprenticeship)
- New Zealand Certificate in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (Trades Assistant) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Telecommunications (Level 3) with strands in Copper Network Maintenance, Optical Fibre Network, and Transmission
- Certificate of Achievement in Computer Aided Drawing (Level 5)
- Certificate of Achievement in Computer Numerical Controller Setting and Programming (Level 5)
- Certificate of Achievement in Solid Works and Computer Aided Manufacturing (Level 5)
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Main Contract Supervision) (Level 5)
- New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (Advanced) (Level 5)