Applying for a place at the MIT Trades Academy
If you want to be considered for the Trades Academy, you'll ideally be in Year 12 or 13. If you're a Year 11 student you might be able to enrol by special arrangement between MIT Trades Academy and your secondary school.
- To apply, first select the vocational course you would like to study by checking out the list of programmes and/or use the profile builder.
- Once you've decided studying at the Trades Academy is what you want to do, ask your school for an application form. Once you have completed the form, hand it back to your school who will send it to the Trades Academy.
- MIT Trades Academy in consultation with your secondary school, will decide whether you have been accepted on to the programme (you may have to attend an interview).
- If successful, you and your school will be notified of acceptance, so you can start planning your school studies.
We are focusing on students who want to start their vocational training while completing their senior secondary school education in an academic and vocationally oriented environment. Typically, you'll have:
- Support from your school for entry into the Trades Academy programme of your choice so talk to your school's Career Advisor, Technology Teacher or Dean who will nominate you
- Studying towards NCEA Level 2 or 3
- The physical ability to carry out the practical components of the programme you're interested in
- Prefer to do hands on work, design and create
- Demonstrated a commitment to ongoing learning and have strong support from your whänau/family or caregivers
Click here to see a list of partner schools
Places are limited with the secondary schools listed below:
- Alfriston College
- Aorere College
- Auckland Seventh-day Adventist High School
- Botany Downs Secondary College
- De la Salle College
- Edgewater College
- Howick College
- James Cook High School
- Macleans College
- Mangere College
- Mount Roskill Grammar School
- One Tree Hill College
- Onewhero Area School
- Ormiston Senior College
- Pacific Advanced Secondary School
- Papakura High School
- Papatoetoe High School
- Rosehill College
- Sancta Maria College
- Sir Edmund Hillary Collegiate Senior School
- Tangaroa College
- Tuakau College
- Wesley College
If your school is not included in the list, have a chat to your Careers Advisor, Technology Teacher or Dean.