IELTS Test Centre
Welcome to the Manukau Institute of Technology’s independent British Council IELTS Testing Centre. We have three conveniently located test venues in Central and South Auckland:
- MIT Otara
- MIT Commerce Street
- MIT Manukau
- Testing is also available in Hamilton (delivered in conjunction with Wintec, Hamilton).
IELTS assesses all of your English skills — reading, writing, listening and speaking, and is designed to reflect how you will use English at study, at work, and at play, in your new life abroad.
Please check which version of the test you need
|What do you want to do?||Required test version|
IELTS General Training
Cancellation or Postponement
Candidates may cancel or postpone their IELTS test by notifying the test centre more than five weeks before the selected test date. There is an administration fee for postponement or cancellation of NZ$75.00.
Exceptional circumstances for postponement or cancellation may be considered by the IELTS Administration, on application.
Exceptional circumstances include:
Please contact the Administrator on +64 9 968 8617 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
IELTS testing dates for the MIT Otara, MIT Commerce Street and MIT Manukau Testing Centres
- All Test Dates are Saturdays.
- Speaking Tests are held on the same day, either morning or late afternoon.
- Results are released on the Friday, 13 days after the test.
- You can collect your results from the IELTS Centre in NR100, Gate 14, Alexander Crescent, Otara between 8.30 a.m. and 4 p.m. on results release day.
- After that time they will be posted to the address given on your application.
IELTS testing date calendar
Please click on the date in red on the calendar above to apply, or alternatively
Test Day Information
- General information
- All test dates are Saturdays
- Speaking tests are held on the same day, either morning or late afternoon
- Results are released on the Friday 13 days after the test. You can collect your results from the IELTS Centre in NR100, Gate 14, Alexander Crescent, Otara between 8.30 a.m. and 4 p.m. on results release day. After that time they will be posted to the address given on your application.
- Test venue and parking
- Registration on the test day
- Registration takes place 45 minutes before your speaking test
- If you are late, you will NOT be able to do any sections of the test and you will not get any results
- During registration, your passport will be checked, and you will be finger-scanned and photographed.
- What to bring
- Your valid, original passport. No passport = No test
A certified copy of passport is not acceptable. No other form of identification can be accepted.
- Your IELTS candidate number
- Water in a transparent bottle
- Pencils, erasers etc are provided by the test centre for you to use.
- Your valid, original passport. No passport = No test
- Test format
- Speaking (15 minutes) You will be allocated a time between 9.00am – 12noon OR 4:30 – 6:00 PM on the Saturday*. You must report for registration 45 minutes before your speaking time.
- Listening (40 minutes)
- Please report for afternoon testing at 12.10pm.
- Reading (1 hour)
- Writing (1 hour)
Testing should be finalised by 4.30pm.
Please note: there are no breaks between the Listening, Reading and Writing tests.
*You will be emailed a speaking test time by 5pm on the Thursday before your test. If you do not receive an email on Thursday, please call us on (09) 968 8617 before 10:00 am on the Friday.
Preparation For Test Days
Frequently Asked Questions
We are the only British Council IELTS Test Centre in South Auckland.
Can I apply for my friend if I have his/her passport?
Yes. Please contact the IELTS administrator on +64 9 968 8617 or via email email@example.com for further advice.
What should I do if my passport is with the New Zealand Immigration Service for a new visa?
You must retrieve it by showing your IELTS test receipt and letter of confirmation to the New Zealand Immigration Service and send it back to them after the test is finished. You will not be able to take the test if you do not have your original passport on the test day.
If you do not have your passport, do NOT apply for the IELTS test until you can have your document with you for test day.
Please Note: a certified copy of passport and driver's license are not accepted.
Is there any deadline for application?
The IELTS Application Form and the test fee should be received by the IELTS Test Centre at least '10 business days' prior to the test date of your choice. However, registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis and does not guarantee a first choice test date.
When do I get my candidate number?
You will receive this on the Thursday before the test when you are emailed your speaking test time.
If I have to repeat the test, can I do only one part (e.g. just Reading, or just Writing, etc.)
No, you must do all four parts if you have to repeat the test. This is the same at all Test Centres.
When and where do I report?
You must report 45 minutes before your speaking test time.
What else should I bring to the test?
Bring your passport and confirmation letter. All bags must be left outside the examination room in a locked room. No personal belongings are allowed into the examination room.
Can I bring anyone with me to the test?
No. Family, friends and agents are not permitted in the test room during the IELTS test.
Does the Test Centre provide headsets for Listening, for all candidates?
No, we do not. We test large numbers of candidates, so headphones would not be practical. However, we have modern sound equipment in every room and the quality of the sound for the listening test is excellent.
Is there any difference in the test from one IELTS centre to another?
No. Every IELTS centre in New Zealand uses the same test on the same test day. There is no difference in how the examiners evaluate and mark tests from one centre to another.
Why take IELTS at MIT?
MIT students have access to a large section of IELTS resources in the MIT library. MIT also has a list of recommended experienced private tutors (please contact the IELTS Test Centre).
Manukau Institute of Technology IELTS Centre
Phone: 09 968 8617
Office hours: 8:30am – 4pm Monday to Friday
Location: NR100, Gate 14, MIT North Campus, Alexander Crescent, Otara, Auckland 2023 View map.
Mailing address: IELTS Office, Manukau Institute of Technology, Private Bag 94006 Auckland 2241, New Zealand