Dr Shamzin Yazdanian
Academic quality leader
Prior to joining MIT at 2017, I have worked as design engineer in marine industry of New Zealand, involved in designing some world-class carbon composite spars for the racing yachts and superyachts. Also I have considerable work experience in construction and commissioning of Oil/Gas refineries as project engineer.
I always try to bring my industrial experiences to the classroom and teach the students how to apply the engineering principles in practical applications, before they could join to the workforce.
Currently I am working with industrial partners to provide students with practical research projects.
PhD - AUT, 2012
Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
After completing B.Sc. in mechanical engineering (Iran), I started my career as project engineer in construction and commissioning of natural gas treatment plant projects for 5 years. I came to New Zealand to pursue my PhD in mechanical engineering from AUT university (completed in 2012).
I have also worked (4 years) as design engineer in marine industry of New Zealand (2013-2017), involved in designing some world-class carbon composite structures for the racing yachts and super yachts.
Research and publications
My research interests are:
- Thermo-mechanical processing of materials
- Materials welding and joining
- Microstructure-properties relationships in materials
- Computational solid mechanics
Refereed Journal Papers
- Z.W. Chen, S. Yazdanian, “Microstructures in interface region and mechanical behaviours of friction stir lap Al6060 to Ti-6Al-4V welds”. Materials Science and Engineering A, 2015, 634 pp. 37-45
- Z.W. Chen, S. Yazdanian, “Friction stir lap welding of light alloys”. International Journal of the Society of Materials Engineering for Resources, 2014, 20 (2) pp. 11-19
- S. Yazdanian, Z.W. Chen, G. Littlefair, “Effects of tool positioning on joint interface microstructure and fracture strength of friction stir lap Al-to-Steel welds”. Journal of Materials Science, 2013, 48 (6) pp. 2624-2634
- S. Yazdanian, Z.W. Chen, G. Littlefair, “Effects of friction stir lap welding parameters on weld features on advancing side and fracture strength of Al6060-T5 welds”. Journal of Materials Science, 2012, 47 (3) pp. 1251-1261
- Z.W. Chen, S. Yazdanian, “Friction stir lap welding: material flow, joint structure and strength”, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, 2012, 55 (2), pp. 629-637
- S. Yazdanian , Z.W. Chen, , G. Littlefair, “Effect of tool speeds during friction stir lap Welding on mode of fracture and fracture strength of Al 6060-T5 joints”, Advanced Materials Research, 2011,275, pp.77-80
- Z.W. Chen, S. Yazdanian , G. Littlefair , “Fracture strengths of Mg Alloy AZ31B-H24 friction stir lap welds”, Advanced Materials Research, 2011, 275, pp.73-76
Refereed Conference Papers
- Z.W. Chen, S. Yazdanian, “Fracture strength of friction stir lap Al6060 toTi6Al4V welds, in proceedings of the 10th international friction stir welding symposium, 2014, Beijing, China
- Z.W. Chen, S. Yazdanian, “Microstructures in interface region and strengths of friction stir lap Al-to-Steel and Al-to-Ti welds - , in proceedings of the 1st international joint symposium on joining and welding, 2013, Osaka, Japan , pp.231-235
- S. Yazdanian, Z.W. Chen, “Friction stir lap welding of aluminium and magnesium alloys: deformation and joint strength”, in 8th pacific rim international congress on advanced materials and processing (PRICM-8), 2013, Hawaii, USA
- S. Yazdanian , Z. W. Chen, G. Littlefair, “The role of joint interface on tensile-shear fracture strength of friction stir lap diffusion Al-to-Steel welds”, in 9th international friction stir welding symposium, 2012, Huntsville, USA
- S. Yazdanian, Z.W. Chen, G. Littlefair, “ Mechanical properties of Al and Mg alloy welds made using friction stir lap welding”, TMS annual meeting, 2011, San Diego, USA, pp.243-251
- S. Yazdanian, Z.W. Chen, “Effect of friction stir lap welding conditions on joint strength of aluminium alloy 6060”, IOP conference series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2009, Auckland, 012021
- B. Sammak, K. Rousta, S. Yazdanian, “Preliminary cost analysis on bioethanol plant”, 6th national energy conference, 2007, Tehran, Iran
Why come to MIT?
The lecturers and other staff are extremely friendly and supportive. The practical aspects of our courses helps to prepare “work-ready” students.